Free Tours of Locks and Dam #15


Share
Posted Online: May 23, 2012, 4:22 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces they will be offering free tours of Locks and Dam #15 starting this Memorial Day weekend on Saturday, Sunday and Monday at 11:00am and 2:00pm each day.

After the holiday weekend the Corps of Engineers Park Rangers will offer free Locks and Dam tours each Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer until Labor Day Weekend at 11:00am and 2:00pm (weather permitting). Participants must wear shoes with enclosed toes and backs, tennis shoes are preferred. Cameras and pictures are not allowed on the tour but they are allowed in the Visitor Center. Walking is required. Pre-registration is also required and the group size is limited.

If you do not have time to attend tours then just stop by for a visit. The Mississippi River Visitor Center gives you a great view of the locking through process at Locks and Dam # 15. There is a picnicking area, restroom facilities, observation deck and an indoor theater. The center is located on the west end of Arsenal Island in Rock Island, Illinois and is open 9:00am till 5:00pm daily.

The facility is only accessible via the Rock Island or Moline entrances. All persons over the age of 16 must carry a photo ID in order to enter the island. All vehicles are subject to random search and participants should allow 15 minutes extra to ensure proper arrival time. Pedestrians and bicyclists with helmets have access to the Mississippi River Visitor Center through the Rock Island gate only. Appropriate ID is required.

Contact the ranger staff at (309) 794-5338 to make a tour reservation or for any additional questions.






















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)