The Moline City Council tonight will hear a first reading of an ordinance to sell the 112-year-old railroad depot to the Illinois Department of Transportation.
The state agency offered to pay the city $141,000 for the Davenport, Rock Island and Northwestern depot at 2012 River Drive. The land is needed for the new Interstate 74 bridge and the depot is in the way.
IDOT was willing to demolish the building or spend up to $1 million to buy the land and move the depot to the Western Illinois University Quad City Riverfront campus. IDOT expected Moline to cover some costs. However, a majority of aldermen last month did not support moving it and did not discuss providing the required financial assistance. If the sale passes, IDOT can demolish the building.
The Moline Preservation Society is trying to raise the $155,000 Moline needs to contribute to the relocation. The depot is a city landmark and one of three original depots left in the Quad-Cities. WIU was going to spend more than $300,000 to rehab the building and use it as a welcome center.
According to council documents, money from the sale to IDOT would go into the city's tourism fund, which provides grants to agencies and organizations that hold events. Moline bought the building in 1994 with tourism funds.
Because the proposed sale is on the agenda as a first reading, aldermen will not discuss it or vote on it. Unless the item is pulled or amended, it likely will be voted on at the Oct. 9 council meeting.
The public can address the council at the conclusion of the city council meeting.
The Moline Committee of the Whole meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. on the second floor of city hall, 619 16th St. The city council meeting immediately follows.
Agendas are available at city hall or moline.il.us.
Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year. 1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued. 1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York. 1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn. 1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border. 1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union. 1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.