Bicycle Tour of Historic Arsenal Island


Share
Posted Online: Oct. 03, 2012, 2:36 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Mississippi River Project

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces that the Visitor Center at Locks and Dam #15 is inviting guests to a bicycle tour of historic Arsenal Island.

Did you know that the town of Davenport was named after a murdered Colonel, or that hundreds of people died while in prison on the Island? The answers to these questions and many more can be found on this relaxing informational ride.

This six-mile ride will be held on Saturday, October 13th, from 9:30-11:30am. Historic points of interest include Colonel Davenport's Home, the old Moline Lock, Arsenal Quarters #1, the Confederate Cemetery, and many more. The tour will begin and end at the Mississippi River Visitor Center, located on the western end of Arsenal Island at Locks and Dam #15. This tour is free of charge and is limited to 15 bicyclists. Advance registration is required. Helmets are mandatory. Training wheels are not allowed. An adult must accompany children under 12 years of age.

All persons over age 16 must carry a photo ID to enter the island. Vehicles are subject to search and participants should allow 15 minutes extra to ensure proper arrival time for the tour. For more information, or to sign up for the tour, please contact the Visitor's Center at (309) 794-5338.




















 




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept 2, the 245th day of 2014. There are 120 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: It is estimated that 300,000 people attended the recent Democratic convention in Chicago when Gen. George B. McClellan of New Jersey was nominated as a candidate for president of the United States.
1889 — 125 years ago: Alderman Frank Ill, Winslow Howard and Captain J.M. Montgomery returned from Milwaukee, where they attended the national Grand Army of the Republic encampment.
1914 — 100 years ago: Three members of the Rock Island YMCA accepted positions as physical directors of other associations. Albert Cook went to Kewanee, C.D. Curtis to Canton and Willis Woods to Leavenworth, Kan.
1939 — 75 years ago: Former President Herbert Hoover appealed for national support of President F.D. Roosevelt and Congress in every effort to keep the United States out of war.
1964 — 50 years ago: The Rock Island Junior chamber pf Commerce has received answers to about 65 % of the 600 questionnaires mailed out recently in a "Community Attitude Survey" to analyze sentiments of citizens towards their city's various recreational, educational, and civic service programs.
1989 — 25 years ago: The two thunderstorms passing through the Quad Cities last night and early today left some area residents reaching for their flashlights.






(More History)