Candlelight Village mobile home park must make improvements


Share
Originally Posted Online: Oct. 03, 2012, 10:37 pm
Last Updated: Oct. 03, 2012, 11:23 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Sarah Hayden, shayden@qconline.com

COAL VALLEY -- The owner of the Candlelight Village mobile home park has agreed to make improvements.

At Wednesday's meeting, village officials heard of conversations last week between Candlelight Village owner Walt Blackard, Coal Valley Mayor Stan Engstrom and village attorney Bill Phares over unsecured derelict trailers and piles of brush on the property.

Village trustee Drue Mielke said Mr. Blackard has agreed to make improvements to the mobile home park and maintain it in an acceptable manner. Additionally, he agreed to meet with village officials every six months to discuss the park, Mr. Mielke said.

Board members on Wednesday also were updated on a new shelter in Coal Valley Municipal Park on 1st Street. Construction began in May and was completed in mid-September.

"This was money well spent," said village administrator Alan Wilson. "Everyone says it's a great facility."

The three-season building has 2x4 constructed walls, insulation and fans. People wishing to reserve it should call village hall. Coal Valley residents will have priority, said Mr. Wilson.

In other news, the board approved using tax-increment-finance funds to install a larger sewer line from The Rock reception hall and Blackhawk Bank and Trust. The Rock originally was a hardware store, and the existing sewer line cannot accommodate the number of people who use the business as a reception facility.

The two businesses share one sewer line, Mr. Wilson said, and after a weekend event at The Rock, the sewer line backs up into Blackhawk Bank and Trust. The replacement work is expected to cost $13,000.

The board also:

• Set trick-or-treat hours for 5-7 p.m. Oct. 31.

• Announced the annual audit by Gabelmann and Associates showed Coal Valley has healthy cash reserves. Praise was given to village treasurer Penny Woods.

• Approved spending up to $1,300 on a new radar gun.

• Approved buying a new truck from Lindquist Ford for $35,000 to be used in snow removal. Another $25,000 was approved for a box and other equipment to turn the truck into a dump/plow truck.




















 



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, July 22, the 203rd day of 2014. There are 162 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Everybody is invited to go on a moonlight excursion next Monday evening on the steamer New Boston. The trip will be from Davenport to Muscatine and back.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The mayor and bridge committee let a contract to the Clinton Bridge company for a $1,125 iron bridge across Sears canal near Milan.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Injunction proceedings to compel the Central Association to keep a baseball team in Rock Island for the remainder of the season were contemplated by some of the Rock Island fans, but they decided to defer action.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The first of the new and more powerful diesel engines built for the Rock Island Lines for the proposed Chicago-Denver run, passed thru the Tri-Cities this morning.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Rock Island Rescue Mission is negotiating for the purchase of the Prince Hall Masonic Home located at 37th Avenue and 5th Street, Rock Island.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Quad Cities Container Terminal is being lauded as a giant business boon that will save several days and hundreds of dollars on each goods shipment to the coasts. The Quad Cities Container Terminal is the final piece of the puzzle that opens up increase access to world markets, Robert Goldstein said.








(More History)