The Rock Island Preservation Commission recently designated the Levi Haverstick house at 544 23rd St., as the city's 41st landmark.
According to a city news release, the home was recognized for its connection to one of Rock Island's earliest newspaper publishers and editors, and for its intact Italianate style with heavily ornamented paired brackets, restored this year by Rock Island Economic GROWTH Corporation.
The cube-shaped brick home was built in 1869 and restored 143 years later by GROWTH, utilizing Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds.
According to Diane Oestreich, Levi Michael Haverstick moved to Rock Island County in 1866, when he bought the Rock Island Daily Union, and later was president of the Union Printing Company.
He built the home in anticipation of his wedding to Mary Emma Frantz in 1870.
Ms. Oestreich prepared the 17-page nomination and submitted it on behalf of the Broadway Historic District Association, with the consent and support of GROWTH.
GROWTH is the present owner. The home is in the Broadway National Register Historic District.
Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.
1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business. 1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments. 1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace. 1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually. 1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area. 1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.