Rowers to compete on the Mississippi October 13


Share
Posted Online: Oct. 09, 2012, 11:01 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Two Rivers YMCA

Rowers to compete on the Mississippi October 13th in the 2012 Trinity Quad Cities Classic Regatta

[MOLINE, IL] (September 19, 2012) – Saturday October 13th, rowers from around the Midwest will compete in head races on the Mississippi River. World-record-holders from our own Y Quad Cities Rowing will be joined by club and university teams such as University of Iowa Men's Rowing and the Chicago Training Center. New this year are rowing events for adaptive rowers. In all, forty-nine races will take place between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Juniors (ages 14 to 18) and Masters (age 20 and over) rowers will compete in individual, doubles, quads and eight-person events. The competition can be viewed along Ben Butterworth Parkway as rowers start near the Captain's Table and end just west of the Sylvan Boathouse, 17th Street at the Mississippi River, behind Stoney Creek Inn, Moline.

This is the 19th year for the annual regatta. The Quad Cities has a rich history of rowing dating back to 1874. At that time, a group of Moline men formed the "Sylvan Boat Club." As a result of their success in Midwest regattas, the group formed The Moline Regatta Association for the sole purpose of holding annual regattas. Investors included S.H. Velie, C.H. Deere and John Deere. Their regattas attracted over 5,000 spectators and crews from all over the Midwest. The spirit of the sport continues to live today through Y Quad Cities Rowing.

The Trinity Quad Cities Classic Regatta is a US Rowing –sanctioned event hosted by a volunteer committee of Y Quad Cities Rowing, the rowing program of Two Rivers YMCA. Trinity Regional Health System is the title sponsor. Further support is provided by the City of Moline, Exelon, and the Dispatch/Argus.




















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)