Today in history for Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 10, 2012, 10:19 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Sunday, Nov. 11, the 316th day of 2012. There are 50 days left in the year.
1862 -- 150 years ago: Our streets are filled day and night with "girls of the pave."Would not the marshal confer a benefit on public morals and add to the receipts of thecity treasury by arresting them.
1887 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Y. M. C. A. is cooperating in National YoungMen's Prayer week
1912 -- 100 years ago: Mrs. Hanna Billinger of Silvis today celebrated her 100th birthdayanniversary. She was born in New York State.
1937 -- 75 years ago: Installation of a public address system in Lewis Hall at St. AmbroseCollege Science Hall has been completed. The system, which will be used for generalannouncements and to summon students, was donated by the 1936 freshman class,present sophomore class, and was installed by students of the physics departments.
1962 -- 50 years ago: Fog shrouded the Quad-City area last night, reducing visibility tozero for about seven hours, and halting late airline traffic. Despite the hazardous drivingconditions, however, police reported that accidents in Rock Island were below normal.
1987 -- 25 years ago: Organizers of the area's largest Thanksgiving dinner are lookingfor individuals willing to donate food, money, time or companionship to the meal atSouthPark Mall. Bob Vogelbaugh of Moline Tuesday announced plans for his 17thannual Thanksgiving dinner open to the public. The first year, volunteers served 15, lastyear; they served more than 1,500 hungry people.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)