Bishop Hill plans for Julmarknad (Christmas Market)


Share
Originally Posted Online: Nov. 12, 2012, 1:52 pm
Last Updated: Nov. 14, 2012, 1:34 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

Press release submitted by Bishop Hill



BISHOP HILL, IL – Prepare for the holidays by attending Julmarknad, or Christmas Market, in Bishop Hill. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. November 23-25 and December 1- 2. The attractions include Swedish folk characters, traditional Swedish holiday decorations, and Christmas gifts for sale.

See Tomten, our Swedish elves, roam through the town, shaking hands with tourists, looking through windows, and peeking around corners in their red and grey outfit.

The exhibit "Locomotives, Depots, Trestles, and Bishop Hill" will be on display in the Steeple Building. This exhibit includes a working model railroad for the kids and artifacts about Bishop Hill's railroad past.

A Christmas Cookie Walk will be held Fri. Nov. 23 and Sat. Nov. 24 only at the Colony School. Homemade cookies and baked goods can be purchased by the pound. Hours are 9 am to 4 pm.

***Also this year, children can visit with Santa on Saturday, November 24th at the historic Blacksmith Shop from 11 am to 2 pm sponsored by the Prairie Arts Center.

A Chocolate Walk will be held Sat. Dec. 1 and Sun. Dec. 2 only. Purchase quality chocolates by the pound at the Steeple Building. Hours are 10 am to 5 pm.

Bishop Hill is located 150 southwest of Chicago and 20 miles east of I-74 in Henry County, IL. For more information call 1-309-927-3311 or 309-927-3899. Visit us on the web at www.bishophill.com.


Julmarknod events are sponsored, in part, by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, July 30, the 211th day of 2014. There are 154 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: After Sept. 1, every small box of matches will be required to have a 3 cent duty Lincoln stamp on it, and every large box will be one cent for every 100 matches.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Rock Island residents had contributed a total of $1,293 to the American Red Cross for the Johnstown flood relief fund.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Capt. Clark Means, new darkhorse twirler for the ARGUS staff, was in great form in his initial contest as a mound laborer. The result was that THE ARGUS trimmed the Union 6-5.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Hunter and Humprey Moody, young Decatur, Ill, brothers, lack only a few hours of establishing a new world light plane endurance record.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Gates of the 110th annual Mercer County Fair swing open tonight at Aledo for a full week of day and night activity. More that $36,000 will be paid in premiums and race purses.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The baseball field carved out of the cornfield near Dyersville, Iowa, continues to keep dreams alive for hundreds of visitors. Tourists from 26 state and France have visited Dan Lansing's farm to see the baseball diamond seen in the hit movie "Field of Dreams."






(More History)