Enjoy the holidays with Swedish traditions at Bishop Hill


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 16, 2012, 9:53 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Bishop Hill


Swedish Christmas Market opens holiday season November 23 at Bishop Hill

BISHOP HILL – The holiday season will open the traditional Swedish way during Julmarknad, or Christmas Market, in the historic community of Bishop Hill. That means cookies, chocolate, elves and even trains.

The festive event takes place 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday through Sunday, Nov. 23-25, and again Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 1-2.

Attractions include tomten, the Swedish elves who roam through town shaking hands with tourists, and traditional holiday decorations and quality gifts to buy for friends and family.

The exhibit "Locomotives, Depots, Trestles, and Bishop Hill" will be on display in the Steeple Building. This includes a working model railroad for the kids and artifacts about Bishop Hill's railroad past.

A Christmas Cookie Walk, with homemade cookies and baked goods that can be purchased by the pound, will be held from 9 to 4 on Nov. 24 and 25 at the Colony School. A Chocolate Walk, featuring delights from area chocolatiers, will be held from 10 to 5 the next weekend at the historic 1854 Steeple Building.

Children can visit with Santa on Saturday, Nov. 25 at the Blacksmith Shop from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., courtesy of the Prairie Arts Center.

The Illinois Historic Preservation Agency operates the Bishop Hill Historic Site. Many of the holiday activities there are co-sponsored by the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency.

Bishop Hill is located 150 southwest of Chicago and 20 miles east of I-74 in Henry County. For more information call (309) 927-3345 or (309) 927-3899, or visit www.bishophill.com.



















 




Local events heading








  Today is Monday, Sept. 15, the 258th day of 2014. There are 107 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The Rock River Illinois conference of the Methodist Church will hold its annual sessions this week in this city. About 200 ministers are expected to attend.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Brush electric company had prepared a new schedule of rates to become effective Oct. 1, with slightly increased rates to consumers.
1914 — 100 years ago: The Rock Island Aerie of Eagles made plans for the laying of the cornerstone of a new $50,000 Eagles Home. W.C. Maucker is to be master of ceremonies.
1939 — 75 years ago: Col. Charles A. Lindbergh spoke on "America and Foreign War" in a neutrality debate over nation wide radio hook-up.
1964 — 50 years ago: Two awards of the National Safety council were presented to the city of Rock Island today at noon at a meeting held in the YWCA.
1989 — 25 years ago: The final tallies are not yet in for the summer 1989 Quad-Cities tourism season, but officials are expecting the number of visitors to the area to be at least as good as, if not better than, 1988.






(More History)