Press release submitted by Alliant Energy|
Customers should not provide credit card or bank routing numbers to suspicious callers
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA – November 29, 2012 – Interstate Power and Light Company (IPL), an Alliant Energy company, is warning small business customers about a recent utility scam.
The scam artists claim to be representatives of Alliant Energy. The scam involves calling small business customers and claiming that the customer is past due on their Alliant Energy bill. Customers are asked to pay their past due utility bill by providing their credit card information. The scam artists claim that if the customer refuses to provide the information, the customer's electric service will be disconnected.
Scam artists may also attempt to convince unsuspecting customers that they can also make a utility payment by providing their bank routing numbers and account information.
Currently, the scam artists' calls are coming from an area code that is not located in Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Alliant Energy reminds customers of the following information when contacted about payment of their utility bills:
· Customers should only use authorized methods and legitimate banking information to pay their bills.
· Credit card numbers and any personal information should not be provided to suspicious callers.
· If asked for this type of information, customers are advised to end the conversation and call Alliant Energy at 1-800-ALLIANT (255-4268) for assistance.
· Customer service representatives can confirm whether the call was from Alliant Energy and can confirm a bill payment, service work or an appointment at a customer's home or business.
· Alliant Energy representatives may contact customers to make arrangements on their accounts if accounts are past due. However, company representatives would not ask for customers to provide credit card or bank account information over the phone or through email.
· If a customer receives a suspicious call or other type of unusual contact, local law enforcement should be called immediately.
About Interstate Power and Light Company
Interstate Power and Light Company (IPL), based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, provides electric service to 525,000 customers and natural gas service to 233,000 customers in more than 700 communities throughout Iowa and southern Minnesota. IPL is committed to providing the energy and exceptional service its customers and communities expect – safely, reliably, and affordably. IPL is a subsidiary of Alliant Energy Corporation. Visit alliantenergy.com or call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).
Moline, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|