Mildred Swanson


Share
Posted Online: Dec. 04, 2012, 5:32 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Mildred D. "Millie" Swanson, 87, of rural Cambridge, died Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, at OSF St. Mary Medical Center, Galesburg.
Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, at the Augustana Lutheran Church, Andover. The Rev. Jan Veseth will officiate. Burial will be at the Andover Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Cambridge Chapel of Stackhouse-Moore Funeral Services. Memorials may be made to Augustana Lutheran Church.
Mildred Dorothy Smith was born Dec. 29, 1924, in Coe Township, Rock Island County, Ill., the daughter of Herman H. and Katherine A. Neuffer Smith. She was educated in Hillsdale area schools and graduated from Hillsdale High School in 1942. Her marriage to Quentin C. Swanson took place on Feb. 12, 1949, in East Moline. He passed away May 5, 1999.
The couple lived on the family farm in Andover Township, and Mildred continued living there after her husband's death. She was employed as a legal secretary for many years in the office of Glockhoff and Haytcher in East Moline. Mildred was a member of Augustana Lutheran Church. She enjoyed making and sending personalized greeting cards, getting out with her friends for coffee, and, most of all, she enjoyed having her family together.
Those surviving are a daughter and son-in-law, Linda and David Kendall, Silvis; a son and daughter-in-law, Curtis and Carolyn Swanson, Cambridge; four grandchildren and (spouses), Nick (Gina) Swanson, Jennifer (Reuben) Tines, Dan Swanson, and Michael Kendall. Other survivors include three great-grandchildren, Ryan and Josh Tines, Austin Swanson; a special nephew, Richard Ely, East Moline; and several nieces. She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, three sisters and a brother.
Video tribute may be viewed and condolences expressed by visiting Mildred's obituary at www.stackhousemoore.com.













 




Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, Aug. 31, the 243rd day of 2014. There are 122 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Chicago and Rock Island Railroad will carry all who wish to attend the Chicago convention for half fare — that is, full fare to Chicago and return free.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Hardy Hetter, for several years yardmaster in the Burlington Railroad yards in Rock Island and Moline, was transferred to Beardstown. He was succeeded here by J.E. Albrecht.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Corn was estimated at 50 percent of the normal crop in Rock Island County by Crop Correspondent Thomas Campbell.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Robert Carroll, 12-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Farr Carroll, of near Aledo, won the grand championship of the Mercer County baby beef show with "Fat Stuff."
1964 -- 50 years ago: About 250 persons attended the first in a series of horse shows at the Hillandale Stables off Knoxville Road near Milan on Saturday afternoon and evening.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Ground was broken this morning for the $4.5 million Rock Valley Business Park near Rock Valley Plaza, Rock Island. The first building is 17,000 square feet for offices and a warehouse and should be completed by Dec. 1.




(More History)