St. Ambrose University to hold winter commencement


Share
Posted Online: Dec. 06, 2012, 2:43 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by St. Ambrose



DAVENPORT, Iowa—St. Ambrose University will hold its 2012 Winter Commencement ceremony at 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the River Center, 136 East Third St., Davenport. A total of 309 degrees will be conferred, including 186 bachelor's degrees, 76 master's degrees and 47 doctoral degrees.

Seating is open with no tickets required, but guests are encouraged to arrive early. Anyone needing special accommodations should contact the Student Disabilities Services office at 563/333-6275.

Arthur Serianz, a faculty member at St. Ambrose since 1975, will give the 2012 Winter Commencement address.

Currently in his fifth term as chairman of the St. Ambrose Chemistry Department, Serianz has served the university in numerous other administrative capacities, including nine years as chair of the strategic planning committee; four as a co-chair of the institutional self-study committee; and the past two as a member of the advisory board to assist in the creation of the Master of Physician Assistant program. He has been an active participant in university fund-raising and grant writing.

Serianz has been recognized for excellence in teaching on multiple occasions throughout his St. Ambrose career, both by students and his peers. He has authored or co-authored seven published papers in the field of chemistry and made numerous presentations. Serianz has served in numerous volunteer roles in the community, including as president of the board of education at Sacred Heart Cathedral School, Davenport.

Serianz earned his bachelor's degree in chemistry from Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, and his doctoral degree in organic and analytical chemistry from the University of Iowa, Iowa City.

More information on Winter Commencement can be found by going to www.sau.edu/graduation.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)