This three-game lead in the Ness Guess Football Challenge against WQAD-TV sports director Matt Randazzo seems most uncomfortable right now.
First of all, it's the same lead Randazzo held a year ago, one that diminished by the end of December and turned into a pie in Randazzo's face on a Sunday night show on Channel 8.
It also now is a situation where even ties favor Randazzo. Last Week's 9-6s make the overall standings 7-4-2. Last week, the Ness Guess needed just one win in five weeks to assure no worse than a tie. Now that same one win is needed with four weeks left.
Plus, Randazzo vows to walk the ultra-conservative line. You will see nary a risk. "Desperation, my friend," he texts after predicting favorite after favorite. That means having no choice but to find underdogs with the best chance of coming through.
The NFL games aren't getting easier either. Last week's $100 prize went to Bill Marmion of Geneseo, who was one of three to go 12-3 and was off on the tie-breaker by just one point.
The others at 12-3 were Scott Sensabaugh of East Moline (off by 3) and Kay Davis of Milan (off by 7).
This week's games 1. Ravens at Redskins Ness: Ravens: Ray Rice might be the difference-maker. Dazzo: Redskins: RG3 deservedly gets headlines, but defense playing well also.
2. Chiefs at Browns Ness: Browns: Chiefs can't still ride that emotion wave. Dazzo: Browns: Quinn homecoming and no one cares.
3. Chargers at Steelers Ness: Steelers: Turning up the heat as December hits. Dazzo: Steelers: All my buddy Jose wants for Christmas is some Charger firings.
4. Titans at Colts Ness: Colts: Andrew Luck has been an amazing story. Dazzo: Colts: Won't need a "Lucky" finish this week.
5. Jets at Jaguars Ness: Jaguars: One TD for Jets at home last week, against pitiful Cardinals. Dazzo: Jaguars: No picking Sanchez for the rest of the year.
6. Falcons at Panthers Ness: Falcons: Playing for home edge throughout the playoffs. Dazzo: Falcons: Closing in on No. 1 seed.
7. Eagles at Bucs Ness: Bucs: OK, not as good as the Falcons. But close in my opinion. Dazzo: Bucs: Long list of reasons why.
8. Rams at Bills Ness: Bills: Rams spent it all against the Niners. Dazzo: Bills: As long as it doesn't go to OT.
9. Cowboys at Bengals Ness: Bengals: Cowboys continue to tease their fans. Dazzo: Bengals: Just when the Cowboys suck, they back in and lay an egg.
10. Dolphins at 49ers Ness: 49ers: Alex Smith will be back at QB before month's end. Dazzo: 49ers: Miami pays dearly for last week's Dome debacle.
11. Saints at Giants Ness: Giants: Confounding team. Very. Dazzo: Giants: Breese will throw a few TDs this week, though.
12. Cardinals at Seahawks Ness: Seahawks: Cardinals not confounding. They're just plain horrible. Dazzo: Seahawks: Cardinals are who we thought they were.
13. Lions at Packers Ness: Packers: This game will prove Dazzo's desperation. Dazzo: Packers: I will not succumb to Ness peer pressure. (Editor's note: Like I said.)
14. Bears at Vikings Ness: Vikings: AP ran for over 200 last week against the Packers. And Urlacher is out. Dazzo: Vikings: Life without Urlacher never good.
15. Texans at Patriots Ness: Patriots: It's one of those where I wish the Texans would win, but they won't. Not here. Dazzo: Texans: AFC championship game preview. You can enter the Ness Guess Football Contest, and have a chance at winning the $100 prize, until midnight tonight at www.qconline.com, clicking on the contest icon.
Today is Saturday, April 19, the 109th day of 2014. There are 256 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: Miss McCorkindale has opened millinery rooms over Gimbel's dry goods store, where she offers a choice lot of millinery goods, which she will manufacture to order. 1889 -- 125 years ago: The little South Park Presbyterian chapel celebrated it first Easter decorated with flowers for an afternoon worship service attended by a large congregation. 1914 -- 100 years ago: The Wennerberg Chorus of Augustana College has returned from a 2,000-mile tour in the Eastern states and Illinois. 1939 -- 75 years ago: Col. Charles Lindbergh has stated that he is convinced that Germany's air force is equal to the combined sky fleets of her potential European foes. 1964 -- 50 years ago: Small gas motors may be permitted on boats in the lake to be built in Loud Thunder Forest Preserve. The prospect was discussed yesterday at a meeting of the Rock Island County Forest Preserve Commission. 1989 -- 25 years ago: The annual Dispatch/Rock Island Argus Spelling Bee continues to be a family tradition. Ed Lee, an eighth-grader at John Deere Junior High School, Moline, is the 1989 spelling bee champion from among 49 top spellers in Rock Island, Henry and Mercer counties. He advances to the competition in Washington, D.C. Runnerup was Ed's sister, Susan.