Francis DeMay


Share
Posted Online: Dec. 26, 2012, 7:01 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Francis A. "Mule" or "Woodchopper" DeMay, 74, of Prophetstown, died Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2012, at his home surrounded by his family at his bedside.
A gathering of friends and family will take place on Saturday, Dec. 29, from noon to 3 p.m. at the McDonald Funeral Home, 46 Grove St., Route 78 North, Prophetstown. Memorials in his memory to Gaffey Home Care and Hospice would be appreciated.
He was born on Oct. 7, 1938, in Annawan, the son of Peter Sabastian and Louise Elizabeth Specht DeMay and was a 1956 graduate of Annawan High School. He married Beverly Ann Evans on Feb. 13, 1960, in St. Malachy Catholic Church in Geneseo.
Throughout his working career he worked at John Deere East Moline for 13 years; worked for West Bend Company for six years selling cookware; had worked for his brother-in-law, Dave Hansen, at his gas station for two years; had worked at Micro Gear in Prophetstown for two years; and then worked at Northwestern Steel and Wire Co. in Sterling for 26 years. He helped many farmers in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and Gordon Francis in Prophetstown through the years, retiring after suffering a heart attack. In his retirement he owned and operated F & B Bait and Tackle in Prophetstown for seven years. He was an avid fisherman and loved camping, cutting and selling firewood and being with friends, quick to tell a funny or B.S. story.
Surviving are his wife, Beverly; two sons, Ronald (Dee) DeMay, Prophetstown, and Randall DeMay, Sterling; his brothers, George (Berneice) DeMay, Kewanee, and Paul DeMay, Cambridge; his sisters, Dorothy Wolf, Annawan, Alice (Dave) Hansen, Prophetstown, Catherine (Ronald) Vincent, Kewanee, Theresa (Mike) Echelberger, Springfield, Ohio; three grandchildren, Christina DeMay, Prophetstown, Cory DeMay, Prophetstown, Curt DeMay, Prophetstown; two great-grandchildren, Aiden Lanphere and Alaina Crump.
He was preceded in death by his parents; and his brother, Raymond DeMay.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)