PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Wayne Johnson


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 03, 2013, 6:57 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
The Rev. Wayne L. Johnson, 93, of Rock Island, died Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013, at Trinity Rock Island.
A requiem Mass will be 11 a.m. Saturday at Trinity Anglican Church, 1818 6th Ave., Rock Island. The Rt. Rev. J. Alberto Morales OSB, Bishop of Quincy, will officiate. Visitation is 4 to 6 p.m. today at the Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, 3030 7th Ave., Rock Island. Additional visitation is 10 a.m. until service time Saturday at the church. Memorials may be given to the family for a memorial to be designated later.
Wayne L. Johnson was born Jan. 11, 1919, in Minneapolis, Minn., the son of Walfrid and Ruth Walters Johnson. He married Marie L. Bonell on June 30, 1947, in Brookings, S.D.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Trinity College, Hartford, Conn. Father Johnson received his Master of Divinity degree from the Seabury-Western Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill. He later received an honorary Doctorate of Divinity from the seminary.
Father Johnson was ordained a priest for the Missionary District of the Episcopal Church in South Dakota and served as rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brookings. He later was called to serve as curate of St. John's Episcopal Church, Decatur, Ill. From 1950 to 1963, he served as rector at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Pekin, Ill.; and from 1963 to 1971, was rector at Trinity Episcopal Church, Rock Island. He was rector at The Church of The Holy Comforter, Kenilworth, Ill., from 1971 to 1985. Following his retirement in 1985, he returned to Rock Island. Father Johnson later served as interim dean at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, Davenport.
He was a member of Trinity Anglican Church, Rock Island. Father Johnson served on many church related committees for the Episcopal Dioceses of Springfield, Chicago and Quincy. He enjoyed traveling to South Dakota and Minnesota, where he loved fishing and bird hunting. Father Johnson also enjoyed gardening, playing golf, feeding the birds, and just being in the outdoors.
Survivors include his wife, Marie; daughters and sons-in-law, Patricia and David Arnold, Moline, Teresa and Steven Thompson, Benson, Ill., and Kathryn Nakashima, Encinitas, Calif.; son and daughter-in-law, Christopher and Barb Johnson, Grawn, Mich.; grandchildren, Matthew (Wendy) Arnold, Moline, Julie (Tony) Knaak, Moline, Rebekah (Shawn) Hayes, Benson, Joshua Thompson, Chicago (fiancee, Phyllis Arista, Oak Park, Ill.), Kathalyn, Karalyn and Grace Nakashima, all of Encinitas, and Corey and Tim Johnson, both of Grawn; great-grandchildren, Sullivan and Brielle Arnold, Moline, and Abigail Marie Hayes, Benson; and a sister, Joanne Steelink, South Pasadena, Calif. He was preceded in death by his parents; grandson, Shawn Arnold; and sisters, Dorothy Johnson and Beryl Pyle.
Online condolences may be left at www.wheelanpressly.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)