PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Today in history for Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 24, 2013, 6:00 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Thursday, Jan.24, the 24th day of 2013. There are 341 days left in the year.
1863 -- 150 years ago: We received an avalanche of letters from our army correspondentslast evening. Send on your letters boys- The Argus is the soldiers advocate for this county.
1888 -- 125 years ago: J.K. Waters returned to Rock Island from Ireland, where heproved his heir ship to a $10,000 estate on the Emerald Isle.
1913 -- 100 years ago: C.F. Gaetjer, Rock Island park superintendent, announced the park board will install a drinking fountain in Spencer Square.
1938 -- 75 years ago: New condemnation proceedings to secure right-of-way for thewidening of Route 150 near the Moline airport were instituted in Rock Island County Courttoday.
1963 -- 50 years ago: With only a week before deadline for filing only a little more than halfthe number of aliens who filed last year have filled out annual registration cards at theRock Island Post Office. All aliens in the U.S. must register at any post office duringJanuary each year.
1988 -- 25 years ago: It's been a rough ride, but New Windsor's Chris Streeter figuresit has been worth it all to reach the end of the trail: qualifying for this weekend'sInternational Pro Rodeo Association's Rodeo of Champions in Tulsa, Okla. This isthe first time the 24-year-old saddle-bronc rider qualified for the International Rodeofinals, which feature top-ranked rodeo professionals in the final event of the season.Only the top 10 regular-season money-winners, and those who have captured regionalchampionships, are invited to participate in the prestigious event.















 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)