Hampton residents complain ice anglers trespassing


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 24, 2013, 9:45 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Sarah Ford, correspondent@qconline.com
HAMPTON -- The Hampton Village Board this week again dealt with complaints from Safe Harbor residents that people are encroaching on the grounds of the condominium complex as they go to Mississippi River to fish.

There also were complaints from a resident who claims the village has encroached on public property by allowing a fence along the shore, which limits public access to the marina.

At the Jan. 7 meeting, Safe Harbor residents expressed concerns over ice fishermen crossing their property to access the marina. They acknowledged they couldn't keep people from entering the harbor to fish, as long as they enter from the river through the inlet, since the waters are public.

Their problem was with people crossing the condo property to gain access, as well as littering and animals running loose once fishermen were in the marina.

After that meeting, the condo association had a survey done to locate the property line between the marina inlet and the adjoining property and had a fence installed. However, Skip McLaughlin argued that the new fence, which runs parallel with 1st Avenue on the village right of way, encroaches on public property, and threatened to take legal action. "We're going to challenge it. You can't keep people away from the marina."

Mayor Kevin Irby presented a document from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources which essentially stated the marina waters are public and can be used by the public. However, the dispute over the fencing is up to the association, once the boundaries are more clearly mapped out.

"We've done all we can to provide the legal information you need," Mayor Irby told the Safe Harbor residents. "We're going to let it run its course."

The Safe Harbor Association has hired an engineering firm to conduct a new survey and plat examination to clearly define the boundaries between the village right of way and Safe Harbor properties.

In other action, the board accepted the resignation by Trustee Scott Newberg, who has moved to Rock Island; and approved the hiring of Sherry Hooker as event coordinator for the Heritage Center.

They also approved the purchase of an automated external defibrillator for the for the fire department, at a cost not to exceed $2,500.


















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, April 24, the 114th day of 2014. There are 251 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: We learn that it is a contemplation to start a paper mill in Rock Island during the summer by a gentleman from the East.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The gates of Oklahoma were swung open at noon today, and a throng of more than 30,000 settlers started over its soil.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The Iowa Coliseum Co. was incorporated with $40,000 capital and planned a building on 4th Street between Warren and Green streets in Davenport.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Plans are being discussed for resurfacing the streets in the entire downtown district of Rock Island.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Some 45 jobs will be created at J.I. Case Co.'s Rock Island plant in a expansion of operations announced yesterday afternoon at the firm's headquarters in Racine, Wis.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Gardeners and farmers cheered, but not all Quad-Citians found joy Saturday as more than an inch of rain fell on the area. Motorists faced dangerous, rain-slick roads as the water activated grease and grime that had built up during dry weather.








(More History)