CDHF annual meeting rescheduled for Feb. 2


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 29, 2013, 11:28 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Jessica Waytenick


Due to the bad weather on Sunday, the Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation has rescheduled its Annual Meeting for this Saturday, February 2nd at 2 p.m. at the Arsenal Golf Club.

Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation Annual Meeting on Feb. 2

Rock Island, Ill. - The Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF) invites the public to their Annual Meeting on Saturday, February 2, 2013, at the Arsenal Island Golf Club, 1838 Gillespie St., Rock Island, Ill. The program begins at 2:00 p.m. and there is a dinner buffet afterwards.

Elizabeth "Beth" Carvey will talk about Sauk and Meskwaki life and her new book Twelve Moons: A Year with the Sauk and Meskwaki, 1817-1818. Ms. Carvey partnered with artist and cartographer Tom Willcockson who designed and illustrated the look at life of local Native American tribes. Carvey has been Director of the Hauberg Museum at the Black Hawk State Historic Site in Rock Island since 1981.


Follow the Sauk and Meskwaki through a year of daily life as they hunted, trapped, farmed, mined, and traveled, all in harmony with the changing seasons and the resources on which they relied for their basic way of life. Twelve Moons: A Year with the Sauk and Meskwaki, 1817-1818 takes the reader on a month-by-month journey through the seasons and across the forests and prairies of the upper Midwest surrounding the Mississippi and Rock Rivers. Experience the ingenuity and challenges of native peoples who occupied this part of Illinois just prior to Statehood in 1818.

Twelve Moons received a Superior Achievement award from the Illinois Association of Museums (IAM). This is the highest award available and, according to IAM, "A Superior Achievement award recognizes achievements that are models for the profession and reaches a greater audience than is normally reached by the nominating institution."

The cost to attend the CDHF Annual Meeting is $20 per person and advanced reservations are preferred. Call Jessica Waytenick at 309-737-4280 by Friday, February 1st. For more information on CDHF events, membership, volunteer opportunities, and the Colonel Davenport House, visit their website at www.davenporthouse.org.

A current U.S. picture ID for persons 16 years or older is needed in order to be permitted on Arsenal Island because it is a working military facility. You can access Arsenal Island using the Rock Island or Moline, Illinois, gates.

George Davenport arrived in Rock Island in 1816 with the U.S. Army to establish Fort Armstrong. His Federal-style house on the north end of Arsenal Island was built in 1833-34. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Colonel Davenport House is preserved and maintained by the Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF). It is a nonprofit, all-volunteer organization that also works to maintain and operate the house, and to share his story and the early history of the Quad Cities area with the community. The house is open for tours from May to October, Thursday-Sunday from 12-4 p.m.

For more information on CDHF events, membership, volunteer opportunities, and the Colonel Davenport House, visit their website at www.davenporthouse.org.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, July 24, the 205th day of 2014. There are 160 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rev. R.J. Humphrey, once a clergyman in this city, was reported killed in a quarrel in New Orleans.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Citizens Improvement Association held a special meeting to consider the proposition of consolidating Rock Island and Moline.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The home of A. Freeman, 806 3rd Ave., was entered by a burglar while a circus parade was in progress and about $100 worth of jewelry and $5 in cash were taken.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The million dollar dredge, Rock Island, of the Rock Island district of United States engineers will be in this area this week to deepen the channel at the site of the new Rock Island-Davenport bridge.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Argus "walked" to a 13-0 victory over American Container Corporation last night to clinch the championship of Rock Island's A Softball League at Northwest Douglas Park.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Immediate Care Center emergency medical office at South Park Mall is moving back to United Medical Center on Sept. 1. After nearly six years in operation at the mall, Care Center employees are upset by UMC's decision. The center is used by 700 to 800 people each month.








(More History)