Preservaton grant awarded to Davenport, R.I. and WIU Depot


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 29, 2013, 2:51 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Landmarks Illinois


Preservation Grant awarded to Davenport, Rock Island, and Northwestern Depot

MOLINE, ILLINOIS – Landmarks Illinois has awarded a $2,500 Preservation Heritage Fund Grant to the Moline Preservation Society. The train depot, built in 1900, was listed on Landmarks Illinois' Ten Most Endangered Historic Places list in 2009. A new federal highway bridge was scheduled for construction at this location, and the depot stands in the way of an off-ramp. The Moline Preservation Society mounted a campaign to save the Depot.
The New Western Illinois University Quad Cities riverfront campus has agreed to incorporate the building into their plans as well as renovate the depot into a welcome center as long as the Society could move the building and make some needed repairs. After the City of Moline denied requests to pay for the preparation of the building to be moved, Governor Quinn stepped in with the remaining funds needed to make the project possible. The Society will use the grant to assist in funding the move of the Depot to its new location.
The Landmarks Illinois Preservation Heritage Fund was created in 2004 to provide monetary grants to preserve or protect significant structures or sites in the state of Illinois. Other projects awarded grants this year include: Second Presbyterian Church, Chicago; Bucky Dome Home, Carbondale; and the Frances Willard House Museum, Evanston. Program guidelines and application forms can be found at www.Landmarks.org.


Landmarks Illinois is the state's leading voice for historic preservation. Since its founding in 1971, the 2,500-member statewide organization has gone on to save countless architectural and historic treasures throughout Illinois. Landmarks Illinois' mission today focuses on saving building, facilitating preservation, and educating the public through innovative programs and promotion. For more information, visit www.Landmarks.org

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, July 27, the 208th day of 2014. There are 157 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rock Island Paper Mill is now operating. It is an establishment which our people ought to encourage by saving all rags for the mill, where you can get cash and the highest prices for them.
1889 -- 125 years ago: E. W. Robinson purchased from J.T. Miller the livery stable on the triangle south of Market Square.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Henry Kramer was elected president of the Tri-City Typothetae Franklin Club, which took the place of the Tri-City Ben Franklin Club.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mrs. Floyd Furh, Illinois City, was first-place winner in the second annual Gov. Horner Farm floral contest.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Nearly 4,000 people are expected to attend weekend sessions of the Jehovah's Witnesses Assembly being held at the Masonic Temple.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The B-29 Super-Fortress bomber is impressive looking, and it did the job during World War II. Its claim to fame is dropping the atomic bombs in Japan to end the war. Only one B-29 is operational in the world today. It is on display at the Quad City Airport in Moline until Friday.






(More History)