Davenport Cemetery to commemorate Medal of Honor


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 05, 2013, 9:50 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Inc


Davenport Cemetery to commemorate Medal of Honor 150th Anniversary

When: Saturday, February 16th, 2013 at 2 p.m.

Davenport, Iowa – Next month, Oakdale Memorial Gardens will host a ceremony in remembrance of Congressional Medal of Honor recipient John Vale. This event is endorsed by the Iowa Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee. John Vale earned his Medal in a skirmish that took place on February 15, 1863.

Vale was born in London, England, and emigrated to Le Claire, Iowa as a young man. He later moved to Minnesota, where he enlisted in Company H of the 2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. On the fateful day of February 15, 1863, he was one of a detachment of sixteen men who defended a Union supply convoy against a Confederate Calvary unit 125 strong. After the war, he settled in Davenport, where he worked in the Post Office for many years. In 1897, he was one of eight other men from that group of sixteen who were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A ceremony to honor Mr. Vale will be held at his gravesite in Oakdale Memorial Gardens, 2501 Eastern Avenue, Davenport, on Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm. The ceremony will include a reading of the official Medal of Honor citation as well as the report of the skirmish by Brigadier General James Steedman, a wreath-laying by Company "A" 49th Regiment Veteran Volunteer Infantry / SVR Honor Guard for the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and military honors.

Oakdale Memorial Gardens, an independent non-profit cemetery, was established in 1856 with burials beginning in 1857. Located on Eastern Avenue in the heart of Davenport, Oakdale Memorial Gardens is one of the Quad Cities' oldest and most beautiful cemeteries, boasting century-old oaks, gentle rolling hills and knolls, and a beautiful reflecting pond near the cemetery entrance. Known as a rural or Victorian cemetery (though burials still take place today), it is the final resting place for many historic Quad Cities figures, including Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke, Mary Putnam (of the Putnam Museum), members of the Palmer family (the founders of chiropractic and Palmer College of Chiropractic) and over 288 veterans of the Civil War.


















 



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, July 25, the 206th day of 2014. There are 159 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Walter Jones, of Co, F 23rd Ky, volunteers, lost a satchel on the Camden road, yesterday, containing his papers of discharge from the army.
1889 -- 125 years ago: E. W. Robinson purchased from Mrs. J.T. Miller the livery stable on the triangle south of Market square.
1914 -- 100 years ago: A municipal; bathing beach was advocated at the weekly meeting of the city commission by commissioner Rudgren, who suggested the foot of Seventh Street as an excellent location.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Floyd Shetter, Rock Island county superintendent schools, announced teachers hired for nearly all of the 95 rural and village grade schools in the county.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The mercury officially reached the season's previous high of 95 about noon today and continued upward toward an expected mark of 97.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Fort Armstrong hotel once the wining and dining chambers of Rock Island's elite is under repair. Progress is being made though at a seeming snail's pace to return the building to a semblance of its past glory for senior citizen's homes.








(More History)