-– These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, MC22, WFXN-AM 1230's Quad Cities Radio Group, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media and the Clinton Herald.
Rank. Team (Rec.): How they fared
1. Bettendorf (18-0): Beat Davenport West, 75-59 Friday; Won at Clinton, 66-38 Tuesday.
2. Rock Island (17-4): Beat United Township, 61-51 Friday.
3. Rockridge (20-3): Lost at Carthage Illini West, 59-53 Friday; Won at Geneseo, 70-35 Tuesday.
4. Assumption (14-4): Beat Clinton, 53-49 Friday; Won at Muscatine, 73-39 Tuesday.
5. North Scott (17-2): Beat Muscatine, 55-17 Friday; Won at No. 9 Pleasant Valley, 47-41.
Today is Thursday, April 24, the 114th day of 2014. There are 251 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We learn that it is a contemplation to start a paper mill in Rock Island during the summer by a gentleman from the East. 1889 -- 125 years ago: The gates of Oklahoma were swung open at noon today, and a throng of more than 30,000 settlers started over its soil. 1914 -- 100 years ago: The Iowa Coliseum Co. was incorporated with $40,000 capital and planned a building on 4th Street between Warren and Green streets in Davenport. 1939 -- 75 years ago: Plans are being discussed for resurfacing the streets in the entire downtown district of Rock Island. 1964 -- 50 years ago: Some 45 jobs will be created at J.I. Case Co.'s Rock Island plant in a expansion of operations announced yesterday afternoon at the firm's headquarters in Racine, Wis. 1989 -- 25 years ago: Gardeners and farmers cheered, but not all Quad-Citians found joy Saturday as more than an inch of rain fell on the area. Motorists faced dangerous, rain-slick roads as the water activated grease and grime that had built up during dry weather.