Davenport Cemetery to commemorate Medal of Honor 150th Anniversary


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 07, 2013, 11:06 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Oakdale Memorial Gardens


Event: Davenport Cemetery to Commemorate Medal of Honor 150th Anniversary

When: Saturday, February 16th, 2013 at 2:00 p.m.

Davenport, Iowa – Next month, Oakdale Memorial Gardens will host a ceremony in remembrance of Congressional Medal of Honor recipient John Vale. This event is endorsed by the Iowa Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee. John Vale earned his Medal in a skirmish that took place on February 15, 1863.

Vale was born in London, England, and emigrated to Le Claire, Iowa as a young man. He later moved to Minnesota, where he enlisted in Company H of the 2nd Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. On the fateful day of February 15, 1863, he was one of a detachment of sixteen men who defended a Union supply convoy against a Confederate Calvary unit 125 strong. After the war, he settled in Davenport, where he worked in the Post Office for many years. In 1897, he was one of eight other men from that group of sixteen who were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A ceremony to honor Mr. Vale will be held at his gravesite in Oakdale Memorial Gardens, 2501 Eastern Avenue, Davenport, on Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm. The ceremony will include a reading of the official Medal of Honor citation as well as the report of the skirmish by Brigadier General James Steedman, a wreath-laying by Company "A" 49th Regiment Veteran Volunteer Infantry / SVR Honor Guard for the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and military honors.

Oakdale Memorial Gardens, an independent non-profit cemetery, was established in 1856 with burials beginning in 1857. Located on Eastern Avenue in the heart of Davenport, Oakdale Memorial Gardens is one of the Quad Cities' oldest and most beautiful cemeteries, boasting century-old oaks, gentle rolling hills and knolls, and a beautiful reflecting pond near the cemetery entrance. Known as a rural or Victorian cemetery (though burials still take place today), it is the final resting place for many historic Quad Cities figures, including Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke, Mary Putnam (of the Putnam Museum), members of the Palmer family (the founders of chiropractic and Palmer College of Chiropractic) and over 288 veterans of the Civil War.


















 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)