Lecture on color in ancient statuary planned for Feb. 12


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 08, 2013, 10:36 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by KeriRursch, Augustana College

Archaeological Institute of America lecture to add color to ancient statues and structures

Rock Island, Ill. – Most people don't realize that many stone statues from antiquity were originally festoonedwith color to bring the forms to life, a subject that will be explored in a lecture on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7:30 p.m.,in Augustana College's Hanson Hall of Science (726 35th Street), Room 102.

A famous example is the Parthenon, the great columned temple atop the acropolis of Athens, Greece. Today wesee white marble, but only because the colors have faded away. When it was built, many parts were painted inbrilliant shades of blue, red and gold.

This common practice of coloring many buildings and statues in ancient times will be revealed by Dr.Benton Kidd, a curator from the Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Missouri. The lecture istitled "The Bold and the Beautiful: Polychroming and Gilding in Antiquity."

Part of the annual Archaeological Institute of America lecture series hosted by Augustana College, theevent is free and designed for a general audience.

More information available: http://www.augustana.edu/x11824.xml?eventid=10312

About Augustana: Founded in 1860, Augustana College is a selective four-year residential college of the liberalarts and sciences. Augustana is recognized for the innovative program Augie Choice, which provides each studentup to $2,000 to pursue a high-impact learning experience such as study abroad, an internship or research witha professor. Current students and alumni include 141 Academic All-Americans, a Nobel laureate, 12 collegepresidents and other distinguished leaders. The college enrolls 2,500 students and is located along one of theworld's most important waterways, the Mississippi River, in a community that reflects the diversity of the United States.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)