Bernice Hovey


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 10, 2013, 6:36 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Bernice M. Hovey, 96, of Rock Island, died Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013, at the Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf.
Funeral services are 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, Rock Island. Burial is at the National Cemetery, Arsenal Island. Visitation will be an hour prior to the service at the funeral home. Memorials may be made to the Ronald Hovey Memorial Fund at Armstrong School, Bettendorf, or to Camp Courageous.
Bernice Fay was born Dec. 7, 1916, in Walker, Iowa, a daughter of William and Nellie Ward Fay. When she was 9 years old her father died, and they moved in with her grandfather. Bernice's mother died when she was 13, and she was then raised by her grandfather and three sisters. She married Leonard C. Hovey in 1935. He died in 1987.
She worked for the Birtman Electric Co., Servus Rubber Co. and Regalia Manufacturing, all of Rock Island. She was active in the International Association of Machinists, for which she had served as secretary.
Bernice was a longtime active member of Memorial Christian Church and the church's Women's Guild. She was proud of being a star player of the Walker High School girl's basketball team in the mid-1930s. She was a generous and supportive person, always looking for ways to help children in need. Bernice loved her family and enjoyed the times they were together.
Survivors include her son and daughter-in-law, Larry and Kathi Hovey, Lubbock, Texas; daughter-in-law, Joan Hovey, Bettendorf; grandchildren, Len (Suzanne) Hovey, Nicole (Stacy) Gray, Todd Hovey, Troy (Sandy) Hovey and Lisa (Scott) Lammers; 10 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild. She was preceded in death by her husband; son, Ronald Hovey; and sisters, Fern Peyton, Wilma Schmitz and Lucille Fay.
Online condolences may be left at www.wheelanpressly.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)