According to the number of clickthroughs on QCOnline.com, these were the most popular sports stories for the past week:|
1. 'Oregon Sectional going to be pretty hard to get out': Wrestling beat writer Daniel Makarewicz tells of the tough field that await Class 1A wrestlers at the Oregon Sectional.
2. 'Rockets celebrate second-place finish for cheerleaders': The Rockridge cheerleading team captured a state runner-up title in the competitive event.
3. '3-mendous finish! Rocks back atop Big 6 with Carr's late triple': Rock Island's CJ Carr hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Rocks a 58-57 win over Galesburg at the Rock Garden.
4. 'UT's Pustelnik a no-brainer for Hall of Fame': Former United Township wrestling great Mark 'Bam' Pustelnik is an easy choice for the Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association Hall of Fame.
5. 'Finch, Nelson strike gold; Golden Eagles repeat as regional champs': Mercer County's Tristen Finch and Zach Nelson take first place in the Class 1A Sherrard Regional.
6. 'Rocky's Willies inks with Iowa': Headlining the collegiate signing day news was Rock Island wide receiver Derrick Willies, who will become an Iowa Hawkeye.
7. 'Geneseo wrestling meets expectations with regional crown': The Maple Leafs advance in the state team dual meet by taking first place at the Class 2A Rock Island Regional.
8. 'UT inducts 1970 boys' basketball team into school's hall of fame': The 1970 Panthers were state runners-up to LaGrange Lyons, and they finally get their hall of fame recognition.
9. 'Class 2A girls' basketball regionals': Area hoops beat writer Terry Duckett analyzes the Class 2A regional tournaments involving area teams.
10. 'Q-C sectional wrestling qualifiers': This list tallied the Q-C wrestlers advancing out of their regionals.
Note: The Friday night's QCOnline scoring updates always gets the most clickthroughs each week but is not listed as No. 1. Likewise, the results from the Oregon Sectional had similar popularity among those wanting updates.