Today is Monday, Feb. 11, the 42nd day of 2013. There are 323 days left in the year.|
1863 -- 150 years ago: The fattest hog brought to the Rock Island market this season wasraised by Brice McRoberts, of Preemption. It weighed 391 pounds, and its legs scarcelycleared its body from the ground.
1888 -- 125 years ago: C. W. Hawes, postmaster, has announced plans for remodeling theRock Island Post Office.
1913 -- 100 years ago: Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Cleaveland left today for a six-week trip toLouisiana, the Panama Canal and Cuba.
1938 -- 75 years ago: Earl H. Hanson has been awarded a three-year contract assuperintendent of the Rock Island public schools and an increase in salary to $5,000.
1963 -- 50 years ago: The sturdy feet of five Boy Scouts from East Dubuque have earnedrespect from adults here. The five Scouts hiked 50 miles to demonstrate physical fitness.Five adults who started the hike dropped out along the way, including ScoutmasterGordon Kilgore. The Scouts left Dodgeville at 5:25 a.m. and reached the outskirts ofDubuque at 7 p.m. but then needed 45 minutes to walk the last mile and a half acrossthe Julien Dubuque Bridge because crowds blocked the path. The hikers were DaveBeck, 14, Bobby Hoffman, 14, Jimmy Trannel, 15, and Kilgore's sons, Patrick, 14, andMichael, 13.
1988 -- 25 years ago: Residents have until April 1 to remove junk vehicles or face theexpense of towing fees and a fine.
Rock island, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|