Today in history for Sunday, Feb. 16, 2013


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 16, 2013, 6:00 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Saturday, Feb. 16th, the 47th day of 2013. There are 318 days left in the year.
1863 -- 150 years ago: A large number of people assembled on the river bank Sundayto witness the baptism of seven converts to the Baptist faith. A space was cut in the icefrom the shore out toward the center of the river so that converts could walk into thewater up to their armpits. Then they were immersed by the clergyman who accompaniedthem, walking on the edge of the ice.
1888 -- 125 years ago: Rock Island's Post Office again will be located in the Lindebuilding for the coming year. The rental price to be paid by the government is $1,000.
1913 -- 100 years ago: The Rock Island City Commission last night defeated a proposal toextend the Third Avenue car-line facilities by recruiting the Long View line.
1938 -- 75 years ago: L.B. Wilson and Frederic B. White were elected as new directorsof the Fort Armstrong Hotel Company at the annual meeting of stockholders.
1963 -- 50 years ago: The importance of commercial fertilizer and operation of the newNitrin plant under construction near Cordova will be explained to members of the RockIsland Rotary Club at noon Tuesday. The new plant will manufacture nitrogen fertilizers.
1988 -- 25 years ago: Moline police and SouthPark Mall officials are calling a fight at themall last Saturday "an isolated incident" and are taking steps to make sure nothing like ithappens again.















 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)