Alexis board approves demolition ordinance


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 16, 2013, 9:41 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Sheila Pressley, correspondent@qconline.com
ALEXIS -- The village board approved a demolition ordinance at its Feb. 11 meeting.

The ordinance requires anyone who wants to demolish a structure in the village to fill out a permit from the village clerk detailing the structure's owner, address and the names of those doing the demolition, accompanied by a certificate of insurance.

The property owner is responsible for securing utility connections, such as capping the sewer line; disconnecting water service, natural gas and electricity; and filling abandoned cisterns or wells. The owner also is responsible for all expenses associated with securing the premises.

Other parts of the ordinance cover demolition requirements, hazardous substances, prevailing wage and penalties.

In other business, the board:

- Approved buying a secondary breaker box for the village hall because the current one "keeps blowing fuses." Flatt's Electric in Monmouth will do the work for $350 to $375.

- Approved a 10 percent penalty on overdue water bills, which does not include the fee for turning the water back on if it's shut off for nonpayment. Officials said water bills are sent out by the fifth of each month and are due on the 20th.

- Heard from treasurer Ange Corben that Mediacom has paid the village $1,083 for renting ground where cable equipment is located.

- Learned traffic signs will be replaced throughout the village at a cost of $2,487.

The next board meeting is at 7 p.m. on March 11 in the community center.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, July 24, the 205th day of 2014. There are 160 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rev. R.J. Humphrey, once a clergyman in this city, was reported killed in a quarrel in New Orleans.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Citizens Improvement Association held a special meeting to consider the proposition of consolidating Rock Island and Moline.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The home of A. Freeman, 806 3rd Ave., was entered by a burglar while a circus parade was in progress and about $100 worth of jewelry and $5 in cash were taken.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The million dollar dredge, Rock Island, of the Rock Island district of United States engineers will be in this area this week to deepen the channel at the site of the new Rock Island-Davenport bridge.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Argus "walked" to a 13-0 victory over American Container Corporation last night to clinch the championship of Rock Island's A Softball League at Northwest Douglas Park.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Immediate Care Center emergency medical office at South Park Mall is moving back to United Medical Center on Sept. 1. After nearly six years in operation at the mall, Care Center employees are upset by UMC's decision. The center is used by 700 to 800 people each month.








(More History)