Phyllis Ydeen Baccus


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 20, 2013, 6:58 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Phyllis Ydeen Baccus, 95, of Moline, died Monday, Feb. 18, 2013, at Rosewood Care Center, Moline.
Per her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded, there will be no visitation, and a private family memorial service will be held. Inurnment will be at Rock Island Memorial Cemetery with her husband, Charles O. Ydeen.
The family requests memorials may be made in her name to the Brandon M. Ballard Foundation, c/o 9710 85th St. Court W., Taylor Ridge, IL 61284. The foundation brings cancer awareness to the classrooms of high school students in Illinois.
Phyllis was born on Oct. 27, 1917, in Rock Island, the daughter of Walter and Kathryn Bruchman Edstrom. She married Charles O. Ydeen June 4, 1939, in Moline. Together they ran Charles' family business, Ydeen's Men's Wear, downtown Moline. Charles passed on Dec. 30, 1984. Phyllis later married William Baccus on May 12, 1990, in Moline. He preceded her in death on March 28, 1992.
She was a member of First Lutheran Church of Moline, as well as Mothers Circle, Mary Martha Unit, and Mary K. Hillhouse King's Daughters. She enjoyed playing cards and belonged to several card clubs with her friends.
Survivors include her daughter, Catherine (Jeffrey) Moorhouse, Moline; grandson, Scott (Julie) Cunningham, Apex, N.C.; granddaughter, Kristen (James) Ballard, Taylor Ridge; grandson, Mark Moorhouse, Wheaton, Ill.; and great-grandchildren, Sarah Ballard, Ryan and Rachel Cunningham, and Mason, Tate and Olivia Moorhouse.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husbands; son, Charles W. Ydeen; great-grandson, Brandon M. Ballard; and brother, Fred W. Edstrom.
Online condolences may be left for her family by visiting www.esterdahl.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)