PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Judith 'Judy' Foss


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 20, 2013, 6:58 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Judith Kay "Judy" Foss, 69, of Taylor Ridge, died Monday, Feb. 18, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport.
Services for Judy will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Zion Lutheran Church, Taylor Ridge. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, 201 E. 4th Ave., Milan. Burial will be at Zion Lutheran Cemetery, Taylor Ridge. Memorials may be made to the family.
Judy was born on June 8, 1943, in Fort Madison, Iowa, a daughter of Marvin H. and Helen Carter Long. She married James Foss on Jan. 14, 1961, in Aledo.
Mrs. Foss was a homemaker. In early years she had worked at Zayre's Department Store, Rock Island, Sergeant's Western Store, Milan, and as a Tupperware representative.
Judy was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, the Lutheran Women's Missionary League, Dorcas Society, Bible study group and the church choir. She also was a former member of the Rockridge School PTA and the Rockridge Band Boosters Club. In honor of her son, Rodney's service in the United States Marine Corps, she became a member of the Patriot Guard Riders and a volunteer for the Quad Cities Honor Flight.
She enjoyed gardening and canning the harvest, tending to her flower beds, visiting with friends and spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren.
Survivors include her husband, James; father and stepmother, Marvin H. and Pearl Mary Long, Springfield, Ill.; children, Karla (Joel) McKeag, Colona, James Foss Jr., Colorado, Rhonda Foss, Milan, Todd Foss (Christine Thompson), Gresham, Ore., Tabitha Gibson, Milan, and Rodney Foss, Orion; grandchildren, Jessica, Amanda, Nathan, Natasha, Desirae, Christine, John Jr., Angela, Phyllip, Ashley, Timothy, Tyler, Zackary and Keegan; and four great-grandchildren.
Judy was preceded in death by her mother, Helen Long; infant son, Rodney Ray Foss; and a brother, Terry Long.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.wheelanpressly.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)