Marjorie Billiet Nelson


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 21, 2013, 6:20 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Marjorie M. Billiet Nelson, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, formerly of Moline and Annawan, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013, at her home.
A funeral Mass celebrating her life will be held 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Annawan. The Rev. Mark Miller will officiate. Burial will follow at Sacred Heart Cemetery. Visitation for Marjorie will be 4 to 7 p.m. today at Vandemore Funeral Homes and Cremation Services, Atkinson, where a rosary will be recited at 3:30 p.m. Memorials may be directed to the Marjorie Billiet Nelson Memorial Fund.
Marjorie was born Sept. 22, 1927, in Minota, Minn., the daughter of Albert and Ida Bender Morisette. She was united in marriage to Eugene Billiet on Feb. 16, 1946, in Annawan. He preceded her in death in 1998. She later married John E. Nelson on Sept. 24, 2005, in Moline. Marjorie worked in the Accounts Department at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, for 20 years, retiring in 1992.
Marjorie belonged to Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Maquoketa, and was a former member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Annawan. She enjoyed crocheting, going to the campground, doing crossword puzzles and traveling. She loved spending time with her family.
Survivors include her husband, John; two daughters, Debbie (Eldon) Croegaert, Mineral, and Genniene (Terry) Nelson, Maquoketa; one son, Nick Billiet, Moline; three stepsons, Terry Nelson, Jerry Nelson and Gary Nelson; 19 grandchildren; 34 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Joan Croegaert, California, and Darlene Plouffe, California; one sister-in-law, Orietta Whitcanack, Rock Island; and one brother-in-law, Jack Blackwood, Kansas.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her first husband, Eugene; one son, Danny Billiet; one sister, Marvel Blackwood; and one grandson, Eugene McRae.
Share a message of sympathy with Marjorie's family at www.vandemorefuneralhome.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)