John Mote Jr.


Share
Posted Online: March 11, 2013, 7:59 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
John C. Mote Jr., 68, of Silvis, was reunited with his wife, Donna, on March 10, 2013, at the Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport.
A memorial service will be held Thursday at 11 a.m. at the Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, 201 E. 4th Ave., Milan. Visitation will be an hour before services at the funeral home. Inurnment will be private at a later date at the Greenview Memorial Gardens, East Moline. Memorials may be made in care of the family.
John was born May 13, 1944, in Andalusia, a son of John C. Sr. and Katherine B. Hulett Mote. He married Donna Simmons on Dec. 31, 1965, in Green Rock. She preceded him in death on Dec. 31, 2007.
John retired from the John Deere Foundry, East Moline, in 1992, after 30 years.
John enjoyed being a big part of his grand- and great-grandchildren's lives. He loved them very much and delighted in spoiling them. He was an avid fisherman and hunter. His favorite fishing trips were with his cousin, Herchel Anderson.
Survivors include his children (and spouses), Beanita (Kevin) Travis, Tucson, Ariz., Tina (Ken) Shaffer, LeClaire, and John C. Mote III, East Moline; grandchildren, John C. Mote IV, Rashel Mote and Jhon Jr., Blade and Trinity Brown; great-grandchildren, Jhon, Alexis and Abrielle Brown; sisters, Alean Morales, Moline, and Vivian Wildermuth, Fort Dodge, Iowa; and brothers, Edward Mote, East Moline, Dennis (Theresa) Mote, Davenport, and Toby (Carrie) Mote, East Moline.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Donna; great-granddaughter, Aaliyah Brown; brother, David Mote; and his parents.
The family would like to especially thank their neighbors of many years, Theresa and Alfred "Alfie" Bivens, and the nurses and staff of the Select Specialty Hospital for their exceptional care in providing dignity, grace and comfort during his final weeks.
Online condolences may be left for the family at wheelanpressly.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)