Paul Boyles


Share
Posted Online: March 11, 2013, 7:59 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Paul J. Boyles, 92, of Reynolds, and a resident of Amber Ridge Assisted Living in Moline, passed away Saturday, March 9, 2013, at Trinity Rock Island.
Visitation will be 3 to 7 p.m. today at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, Milan, with a rosary recited at 3 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Wednesday at 10 a.m. at St. Pius X Catholic Church, Rock Island, with a luncheon to follow. Burial will be at St. Joseph's Cemetery, Preemption Township. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, St. Catherine's Catholic Church, Aledo, or St. Pius X Catholic Church, Rock Island.
Paul was born on April 28, 1920, in rural Mercer County, the son of Guy F. Boyles and Eliza A. Lucas. He graduated from the former St. Joseph's Catholic High School in Rock Island in 1938, where he quarterbacked his football team to win the 1937 City Championship. He married Louise Murry on Feb. 7, 1945, in Ottawa, Ill. She died in April 1990.
Mr. Boyles and his brother, Francis, farmed as "Boyles Brothers" south of Reynolds, in Perryton Township, Mercer County. He was a member of St. Catherine's Catholic Church, Aledo.
Paul was a lifelong sports fan, especially his beloved Fighting Irish and the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. He loved spending time with his family and friends.
Survivors include his children (and spouses), Kathee (Steve) Seiver, Paul Boyles Jr. and Lawrence (Vicki) Boyles; six grandchildren, Jennifer (Jackson) Bartnik, Laura (Jackson) Nikolay, Alex Seiver, Tom Boyles, Paul Boyles III and Sara Boyles; four great-grandchildren; and a sister, Helen Boyles.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Francis; his wife, Louise; and daughter, Rita C. Jackson.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, July 27, the 208th day of 2014. There are 157 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rock Island Paper Mill is now operating. It is an establishment which our people ought to encourage by saving all rags for the mill, where you can get cash and the highest prices for them.
1889 -- 125 years ago: E. W. Robinson purchased from J.T. Miller the livery stable on the triangle south of Market Square.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Henry Kramer was elected president of the Tri-City Typothetae Franklin Club, which took the place of the Tri-City Ben Franklin Club.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mrs. Floyd Furh, Illinois City, was first-place winner in the second annual Gov. Horner Farm floral contest.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Nearly 4,000 people are expected to attend weekend sessions of the Jehovah's Witnesses Assembly being held at the Masonic Temple.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The B-29 Super-Fortress bomber is impressive looking, and it did the job during World War II. Its claim to fame is dropping the atomic bombs in Japan to end the war. Only one B-29 is operational in the world today. It is on display at the Quad City Airport in Moline until Friday.






(More History)