PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Jim Gregory


Share
Posted Online: March 22, 2013, 6:07 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Jim Gregory, 74, of Moline, died on Thursday, March 21, 2013, at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport.
Visitation is from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline. Graveside services are at 2:30 p.m. Monday at Rock Island National Cemetery. Those wishing to attend should meet at the funeral home by 2:15 p.m.
Jimmie Ray Gregory was born on Oct. 11, 1938, in New Castle, Ind., the son of Ray and Helen Glasco Gregory. He served in the U.S. Air Force for seven years, and then worked for the Federal government for 27 years. During his career, he worked in the munitions, guided missile, nuclear weapon and foreign military assistance fields. He had the opportunity to live overseas in England, Korea, Pakistan, Turkey and Wales, as well as in Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, New York and Texas. In addition, he had many foreign assignments of limited duration working with the governments of Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Finland, Greece, Honduras, Israel, Korea, Oman, Philippines and Portugal. He graduated from the QASAS School, Quality Assurance Specialist (Ammunition Surveillance) in 1969, and retired from the Logistics Review and Assistance Office at the Army Defense Ammunition Center and School at the Savanna Army Depot.
Jim enjoyed many hobbies at various times, including master gardener, photography, aquariums and cooking, was a staunch Republican and an avid nonfiction reader.
Jim is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, James and Sheryl Gregory, Davenport; grandchildren, Calder Gregory, Frankie King, Kelly Tasker and her husband, Tat, and Nancy King; sisters, Janet Gregory, Anderson, Ind., and Jo-Anna Henshew and her husband, Joe, Pendelton, Ind.; and his fiancee, Barbara Solomon, Moline, and her family.
Jim's family invites friends to share stories and condolences and light a candle in his memory at TrimbleFuneralHomes.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)