PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Florence Peterson


Share
Posted Online: March 27, 2013, 6:56 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Florence O. Peterson, 99, of Andover, died Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, Silvis.
Funeral services will be 1 p.m. Saturday, March 30, at Augustana Lutheran Church, Andover. Visitation will be from noon to 1 p.m. prior to the service at the church. Burial will be at Andover Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to Augustana Church, Andover Historical Society or Jenny Lind Chapel.
Florence was born Sept. 19, 1913, in Woodhull, the daughter of Elmer and Ida Engstrom Johnson. She attended Woodhull and Alpha schools and graduated from Woodhull High School in 1930. She was baptized and confirmed at Bethany Lutheran Church in Woodhull. She married Ivan Peterson on June 29, 1935, at Augustana Church. He preceded her in death in 2001.
She was a farm wife and homemaker.
Florence was a member of Augustana Church, where she was active with WELCA. She was a founding member of both the Andover Historical Society and the Jenny Lind Chapel Board. She also was a member of the Andover American Legion Auxiliary, Andover School Mother's Club and a Cub Scouts den mother. Her hobby was researching family and Andover history. She was a loyal Illini boys' basketball fan.
Survivors include her sons, David (Debra) Peterson, Andover, and Ronald (Eilene) Peterson, Andover; grandchildren, Mandy Peterson, Andover, David Peterson Jr., Andover, Laura (Brad) Rickey, Geneseo, and Craig (Doris) Peterson, Sycamore, Ill.; great-grandchildren, Allison and Ashley Rickey, and Karl and Eva Peterson. She was preceded in death by her husband; parents; three brothers and three sisters.
A special thanks to the people who provided her wonderful care, Cara Craft, Nancy Zurcher, Laura Cooper, Betty Blake and Illini Restorative Care.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)