Earl Baker


Share
Posted Online: April 03, 2013, 7:01 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Earl John Baker, 77, of Blaine, Wash., formerly of Rock Island, passed away at his home from cancer on Wednesday, March 27, 2013, surrounded by his family.
A memorial celebration of life reception will be at 11:30 a.m. today at United Church of Ferndale, 2034 Washington St., Ferndale, WA 98248, followed by a 2 p.m. graveside service at Enterprise Cemetery, with military honors by Albert J. Hamilton Post 7, American Legion of Bellingham, with Pastor Bobbi Virta officiating. The family suggests memorial donations to Whatcom Hospice, 2806 Douglas Ave., Bellingham, WA 98225. Arrangements are under the care of Sig's Alternative Funeral & Cremation Services, 360-656-5459.
Earl was born on March 24, 1936, in New Boston, to parents Leonard George and Mary Margaret Koehler Baker. He graduated from Rock Island High School in the Class of 1954 and went directly into the United States Navy, serving four years, and was discharged as a Torpedo Man's Mate 3.
He moved to Washington state in 1965 and was employed at Boeing as a tool and die maker. Earl moved to Whatcom County in the 1970s and lived on Bay Road for many years. He sold insurance for various companies, retiring lastly from Aflac.
Earl married the love of his life, Debbie Unick, in April 1990; together they owned and operated "Pub Play Darts" in Whatcom, Skagit and Island counties.
He was preceded in death by his parents and is survived by his wife, Debbie, of 23 years; children, Don and his wife, Brenda, Jeff and his wife, Kimberly, Doug and his wife, Tracey, Jim, Diana and her husband, Mark Critchlow, and Lance and his wife, Patty; grandchildren, Emily, Dawson, Benjamin, Mystie and husband, Ramon Hipolito, Caitlyn, Kyle, Amanda, Jessica, Nicole, Ava and Oliver; great-grandchildren, Anayah and Erykah Hipolito; sister, Catherine and her husband, Al Jochim; and numerous nieces, nephews and other relatives.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)