"America's Music" kicks off today at RME


Share
Posted Online: April 10, 2013, 10:35 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Jonathan Turner, jturner@qconline.com

The kickoff of a special six-week music project in the Quad-Cities will take place today at 4:30 p.m., at River Music Experience, 129 Main St., Davenport.

Partners in America's Music Quad Cities will discuss the National Endowment for the Humanities funded series, "America's Music: A Film History of our Popular Culture from Blues to Bluegrass to Broadway," which will run through May 23. Afterwards at about 5 p.m., the celebration continues with a performance from Iowa Blues Challenge winners The Candymakers.

America's Music Quad Cities only is one of 50 nationwide recipients of this $2,500 grant, whichalso received a matching grant of $2,500 from the Riverboat Development Authority. The seriesfeatures documentary film screenings, live performances and scholar-led discussions of 20th-century American popular music, focusing on blues, gospel, Broadway, jazz, bluegrass, country, rock 'n' roll, mambo and hip-hop.

The Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf and Davenport public libraries, in collaboration with RME in Davenport and Western Illinois University in Moline, will host the series, which features 19 events. Among therenowned documentaries and television series included are "Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues," "Broadway: the American Musical," "Ken Burns' Jazz," "High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music," "The History of Rock 'n' Roll" and "Latin Music, USA."

"America's Music" was launched by the Tribeca Film Institute with the American Library Association, Tribeca Flashpoint and Society for American Music. Each DVD screening and discussion session will examine an important American musical genre in the context of key social and historical developments.

A full list of local performances and locations is available at americasmusicqc.com.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, July 25, the 206th day of 2014. There are 159 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Walter Jones, of Co, F 23rd Ky, volunteers, lost a satchel on the Camden road, yesterday, containing his papers of discharge from the army.
1889 -- 125 years ago: E. W. Robinson purchased from Mrs. J.T. Miller the livery stable on the triangle south of Market square.
1914 -- 100 years ago: A municipal; bathing beach was advocated at the weekly meeting of the city commission by commissioner Rudgren, who suggested the foot of Seventh Street as an excellent location.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Floyd Shetter, Rock Island county superintendent schools, announced teachers hired for nearly all of the 95 rural and village grade schools in the county.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The mercury officially reached the season's previous high of 95 about noon today and continued upward toward an expected mark of 97.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Fort Armstrong hotel once the wining and dining chambers of Rock Island's elite is under repair. Progress is being made though at a seeming snail's pace to return the building to a semblance of its past glory for senior citizen's homes.








(More History)