Today in history for Saturday, April 20, 2013


Share
Posted Online: April 19, 2013, 11:00 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Saturday, April 20, the 110th day of 2013. There are 255 days left in the year.
1863 — 150 years ago: Look out for your hogs, all who keep the animals within the city limits. The new marshal is doing his business thoroughly, so if the hogs are suffered to run at large they will be "gobbled up" and sold.
1888 — 125 years ago: The cornerstone of South Park Presbyterian mission will be laid at 4 p.m. today. The Rev. W.S. Marquis of Broadway Presbyterian Church will officiate.
1913 — 100 years ago: Dr. J.P. Comegys, of Rock Island, has been named post surgeon at the Rock Island Arsenal.
1938 — 75 years ago: Farmers from the Rock Island trading area will be feted tonight at a farm-city dinner in the cafeteria at Rock Island's new $1,225,000 high school building under sponsorship of the Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of Commerce.
1963 — 50 years ago: The Rock Island downtown area will be turned into a circus grounds overnight tonight in preparation for one of the largest promotional events everstaged by the Rock Island Retail Bureau. An official with the Polly Miller Big TopSpectacular estimates a total of 250,000 people will throng the downtown area through the five-day promotion which begins tomorrow and runs through Saturday.
1988 — 25 years ago: Augustana College gave Queen Silvia, of Sweden, a royal welcome this morning in honor of Her Majesty's first visit to the Rock Island Campus, the oldest Swedish College in America. The queen's visit is part of a 16-city U.S. tour celebratingNew Sweden '88, the 350th anniversary of the first permanent Swedish settlement in North America.















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)