Today in history for Saturday, May 11, 2013


Share
Posted Online: May 10, 2013, 4:01 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Today is Saturday, May 11, the 131st day of 2013. There are 234 days left in the year.
1863 -- 150 years ago: Since Davenport is now without an evening paper a fewenterprising carriers could do well to circulate the evening Argus there. The DavenportDemocrat-News has gone out of existence because of want of patronage.
1888 -- 125 years ago: Improvements on the First National Bank building have beencompleted.
1913 -- 100 years ago: Members of the First Lutheran Church last night voted in favor ofa $7,000 addition to the church structure.
1938 -- 75 years ago: Payloads for Mississippi River tows are working out because of theexchange of Illinois and Iowa corn to feed southern mules, for cotton seed meal which isshipped up stream to feed Midwest cattle.
1963 -- 50 years ago: Fourteen new courses, ranging from the new engineeringrequirement of statistics, to work in theater production, are being added to the fall andspring semester for 1963-64.
1988 -- 25 years ago: The East Moline Junior Woman's Club recently donated books tothe children's department of the East Moline Public Library honoring the birth of threebabies born to club members this year. The books were also donated to observe the club's50th anniversary and the 200th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, April 19, the 109th day of 2014. There are 256 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Miss McCorkindale has opened millinery rooms over Gimbel's dry goods store, where she offers a choice lot of millinery goods, which she will manufacture to order.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The little South Park Presbyterian chapel celebrated it first Easter decorated with flowers for an afternoon worship service attended by a large congregation.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The Wennerberg Chorus of Augustana College has returned from a 2,000-mile tour in the Eastern states and Illinois.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Col. Charles Lindbergh has stated that he is convinced that Germany's air force is equal to the combined sky fleets of her potential European foes.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Small gas motors may be permitted on boats in the lake to be built in Loud Thunder Forest Preserve. The prospect was discussed yesterday at a meeting of the Rock Island County Forest Preserve Commission.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The annual Dispatch/Rock Island Argus Spelling Bee continues to be a family tradition. Ed Lee, an eighth-grader at John Deere Junior High School, Moline, is the 1989 spelling bee champion from among 49 top spellers in Rock Island, Henry and Mercer counties. He advances to the competition in Washington, D.C. Runnerup was Ed's sister, Susan.






(More History)