Pioneer Living Day at the Colonel Davenport House on Arsenal Island


Share
Posted Online: May 13, 2013, 9:14 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Jessica Waytenick



Rock Island, Illinois – The Colonel Davenport House, located on the North end of Arsenal Island, is stepping back in time for Pioneer Living Day on Saturday, June 15, 2013.

Be a part of history from George Davenport's time from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. with guided tours of the house, and outside in the yard see log raft demonstrations, black-powder gun demonstrations, children's games, pioneer crafts, a doll quilt display, and many re-enactors to take a picture with you.

Pioneer Living Day is included with regular admission to the house: $5 adults; $3 seniors/students/active military; $10 family.

Colonel Davenport was a veteran of the U.S. Army, serving for ten years. He came to Rock Island in 1816 as a civilian who had a contract to supply rations to the soldiers at Fort Armstrong. George Davenport was the first permanent white resident in the Quad Cities area and built his house in 1833-34.

A current U.S. picture ID for persons 16 years or older is needed in order to be permitted on Arsenal Island because it is a working military facility. You can access Arsenal Island using the Rock Island or Moline, Illinois, gates.

The Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF) is a nonprofit all volunteer organization that works to preserve Colonel George Davenport's former home and share his story with the community.

For more information, visit their website at www.davenporthouse.org.

About the CDHF

The Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF) is a nonprofit volunteer group that works to preserve Colonel George Davenport's former home and share his story with the community. The Colonel Davenport House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1833-1834 and is on the North end of Arsenal Island in the Quad Cities. Colonel Davenport was the first permanent white settler in the Quad Cities. The Foundation relies on volunteers to maintain and operate the house. It is open for tours from May to October.

















 




Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, Aug. 31, the 243rd day of 2014. There are 122 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Chicago and Rock Island Railroad will carry all who wish to attend the Chicago convention for half fare — that is, full fare to Chicago and return free.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Hardy Hetter, for several years yardmaster in the Burlington Railroad yards in Rock Island and Moline, was transferred to Beardstown. He was succeeded here by J.E. Albrecht.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Corn was estimated at 50 percent of the normal crop in Rock Island County by Crop Correspondent Thomas Campbell.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Robert Carroll, 12-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Farr Carroll, of near Aledo, won the grand championship of the Mercer County baby beef show with "Fat Stuff."
1964 -- 50 years ago: About 250 persons attended the first in a series of horse shows at the Hillandale Stables off Knoxville Road near Milan on Saturday afternoon and evening.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Ground was broken this morning for the $4.5 million Rock Valley Business Park near Rock Valley Plaza, Rock Island. The first building is 17,000 square feet for offices and a warehouse and should be completed by Dec. 1.




(More History)