Hike the Canal outing May 19


Share
Posted Online: May 13, 2013, 12:19 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Ed Herrmann


The Friends of the Canal are holding their monthly Hike the Canal outing on Sunday, May 19.

This month's hike will be from Bridge 62 to Lock 22 on the canal.
We will meet at Lock 22 at 1:30 pm, where we will be shuttled to Bridge 62 to begin our hike. Directions to Lock 22 are to take Route 6 west of Sheffield approximately 3 1/2 miles or Route 6 east of Mineral approximately 1 1/2 miles, then turn north (watch for the Lock 22 signs on route 6) on county highway 300E.

This portion of the "Hike the Hennepin" is 4.9 miles in length and it has been named the "Red Winged Blackbird".

The monthly hikes were developed by the Friends of the Hennepin Canal as an opportunity for everyone to get to know the Canal personally by hiking it from the Illinois River to the Mississippi (including the Feeder Canal) in small legs.

You need not be a member of the Friends to join us in any of the hikes.
There is no fee for the hikes. Come and join in the fun and bring a friend. We ask that you dress weather appropriately.

For more information, contact Ed Herrmann at:
hikes@friends-hennepin-canal.org (email) or 815-664-2403 (home)
or log on to our website at: www.friends-hennepin-canal.org .

Next hike:
June 9 Hike route: Br. 59 to Br. 62 Length: 4.2 miles
Meet at: Br. 56 Route 92 Hike name: Barred Owl



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)