Y Quad Cities Rowing open house


Share
Posted Online: May 13, 2013, 3:22 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Two Rivers YMCA


[MOLINE, IL] (May 13, 2013) – Want to learn more about rowing? Attend the open house at the Y's Sylvan Boathouse, 1701 1st Avenue, Moline Saturday, May 18th from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Rowing is great exercise, providing a total-body workout that targets a large number of muscles and the cardio-vascular system. Rowing is also a very-low-impact activity and a great way to cross train for other sports.

Visitors to the open house will receive a great, hands-on introduction to rowing on the Mississippi River. Visitors will tour the Sylvan Boathouse, take mini-lessons on rowing machines and on the water, meet Y rowers and get more information on rowing programs for youth and adults - from novices to adaptive rowers to experts.

The Two Rivers YMCA rowing program includes people who row for fun and fitness and those who row for competition. For many, being out on the water and enjoying the sights and sounds of nature is a great boost for the spirit, mind and body.

The Quad Cities has a rich history of rowing. In 1874, a group of men in Moline formed a rowing club, naming it the "Sylvan Boat Club." Then, in 1884, as a result of their success in Midwest regattas, a group of investors formed "The Moline Regatta Association" for the sole purpose of holding annual regattas. Investors included S.H. Velie, C.H. Deere and John Deere. Their regattas attracted over 5,000 spectators and crews from all over the Midwest. This year's Regatta will be October 13th and will draw participants to the Quad Cities from across the country. The spirit of this sport lives on through Y Quad Cities Rowing.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)