Sauer brothers return for chamber concert


Share
Originally Posted Online: May 16, 2013, 10:16 am
Last Updated: May 17, 2013, 12:01 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Jonathan Turner, jturner@qconline.com

In celebration of Chamber Music Quad Cities' 20th anniversary season, the group welcomes home to Davenport its co-founders and brothers, Tom (piano) and Greg Sauer (cello), for a concert tonight at 7:30 p.m.

The Sauers will be joined by current CMQC artistic director, violinist David Bowlin, in a program that includes works by Beethoven, Britten and Lieberson at the Unitarian Church,3707 Eastern Avenue, Davenport.

Tom Sauer is a member of the piano faculty at the Mannes School of Music in New York City, the director of the Beethoven Institute in New York, and a recent soloist with the Quad City Symphony.Greg Sauer is associate professor of cello at Florida State University in Jacksonville, Fla. Mr. Bowlin is a member of the violin faculty at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Oberlin, Ohio.

Chamber Music Quad Cities began as a family affair, with concerts presented by Davenport natives Greg and Tom Sauer, for which they were joined by friends and local musicians. In 1994, the Sauers, along with pianist Robert Satterlee, then a member of the piano faculty at Augustana College, incorporated Chamber Music Quad Cities Inc. The purpose of the organization is to present high-quality chamber music for the region.

In recent years, several musicians with local connections have appeared in CMQC concerts. They include Beth McCafferty, flute; Sarah Bowlin Warren, violin; and Robert Elfline, piano. Also, bassist Philip Alejo will play for the upcoming CMQC concert on June 22 at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Davenport.

The cost of tonight's concert $12 for adults and $5 for students, payable at the door. There is no reserved seating. For more information, visit chambermusicqc.com.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)