Locks and Dam # 15 tours canceled July 14


Share
Posted Online: July 08, 2013, 3:01 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted byMike McKean

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces that tours of Locks and Dam #15 will be cancelled on July 14th. The Mississippi River Visitor Center will still remain open during this time.

The Mississippi River Visitor Center gives you a great view of the locking process as many towboats and recreational boats use the locks daily. There is a picnicking area, restroom facilities, observation deck and an indoor theater. Also a Park Ranger is always on hand to answer questions. The center is located on the west end of Arsenal Island in Rock Island, Illinois and is open 9:00am till 5:00pm daily.

The facility is only accessible via the Rock Island or Moline entrances. All persons over the age of 16 must carry a photo ID in order to enter the island. All vehicles are subject to random search and participants should allow 15 minutes extra to ensure proper arrival time. Pedestrians and bicyclists with helmets have access to the Mississippi River Visitor Center through the Rock Island gate only. Appropriate ID is required.

Contact the ranger staff at (309) 794-5338 for any additional questions.

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, July 30, the 211th day of 2014. There are 154 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: After Sept. 1, every small box of matches will be required to have a 3 cent duty Lincoln stamp on it, and every large box will be one cent for every 100 matches.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Rock Island residents had contributed a total of $1,293 to the American Red Cross for the Johnstown flood relief fund.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Capt. Clark Means, new darkhorse twirler for the ARGUS staff, was in great form in his initial contest as a mound laborer. The result was that THE ARGUS trimmed the Union 6-5.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Hunter and Humprey Moody, young Decatur, Ill, brothers, lack only a few hours of establishing a new world light plane endurance record.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Gates of the 110th annual Mercer County Fair swing open tonight at Aledo for a full week of day and night activity. More that $36,000 will be paid in premiums and race purses.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The baseball field carved out of the cornfield near Dyersville, Iowa, continues to keep dreams alive for hundreds of visitors. Tourists from 26 state and France have visited Dan Lansing's farm to see the baseball diamond seen in the hit movie "Field of Dreams."






(More History)