Can you spin a spooky Q-C tale?


Share
Posted Online: Aug. 31, 2013, 5:50 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Do you have a tale of Quad-Cities terror to tell?

The Col. Davenport Historical Foundation, The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus invite Quad-Citians 18 and older to submit original scary stories for the 2013 Ghost Tales contest. The deadline for entering is Wednesday, Sept. 18.

The winning story will be read at the foundation's Ghost Tales program at 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, on the grounds of the Col. Davenport House on Arsenal Island. Other area storytellers also will be featured at the event.

The wining entry also will be published in The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus before the event.

Those attending the Ghost Tales event should bring lawn chairs or blankets for seating. In case of rain, the event will be moved to nearby Memorial Field Pavilion. Guided tours of the Col. Davenport House will be offered beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for children and $10 for families. Proceeds will help preserve the Col. Davenport House Museum.

Ghost Tales contest entries will be judged by Col. Davenport Historical Foundation board members.

The contest rules are:

-- An entry must be the original work of the author.

-- The author must be 18 or older.

-- Each entry must relate in some way to early Quad-Cities area history.

-- Each entry must be 1,000 words or less.

-- Each entry must be suitable for a family audience.

-- Each entry must include the author's name, age, address and daytime phone number.

-- Entries must be emailed by Wednesday, Sept. 18, to coloneldavenport1833@hotmail.com or mailed to: Col. Davenport Historical Foundation, Attn: Ghost Tales Contest, P.O. Box 4603, Rock Island, IL 61204-4603

-- The winning story will be published in The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus. Employees of Moline Dispatch Publishing Co. and their families are not eligible to enter.





 












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)