Colonel Davenport House organizes Mystery Bus Trip


Share
Posted Online: Sept. 04, 2013, 1:54 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Jessica Waytenick


Rock Island, Illinois – Join the Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation for a fun-filled day on a Mystery Bus Trip outside of the Quad Cities area on Tuesday, September 10, 2013.

CDHF Board Member and experienced Tour Guide Judy Vukelich leads this fun one-day tour for both men and women to a mystery destination outside the Quad Cities area on a Tri-State motorcoach. Not a lot of walking required.

Cost is $75 per person for the tour, includes lunch. Tour departs at 6:45 a.m. from the Tri-State Travel office, 530 West 76th Street in Davenport, Iowa. Tour returns at approximately 7:30 p.m.

Contact Judy Vukelich at 563-322-7522 to make your reservation right away.


The Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF) is a nonprofit all volunteer organization that works to preserve Colonel George Davenport's former home and share his story with the community.

For more information on CDHF membership, volunteer opportunities, and the Colonel Davenport House, visit their website at www.davenporthouse.org.

About the CDHF

The Colonel Davenport Historical Foundation (CDHF) is a nonprofit volunteer group that works to preserve Colonel George Davenport's former home and share his story with the community. The Colonel Davenport House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1833-1834 and is on the North end of Arsenal Island in the Quad Cities. Colonel Davenport was the first permanent white settler in the Quad Cities. The Foundation relies on volunteers to maintain and operate the house. It is open for tours from May to October.






















 




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)