Moline earns recognition for Washington Square rehab


Share
Posted Online: Sept. 04, 2013, 10:27 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Dawn Neuses, dneuses@qconline.com
MOLINE -- The city of Moline earned statewide recognition for its rehab of Washington Square Apartments.

Moline will receive a 2013 Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for Rehabilitation from Landmarks Illinois,a statewide group that advocates for the protection of historic properties, during an awards ceremony Oct. 26 in Chicago.

According to the award letter sent to Moline, Landmarks "honors innovative preservation projects, dedicated organizations, and uplifting success stories from across the state."

The city undertook analmost $2 million renovation to save Washington Square, a 137-year-old Italianate row house at 316 17th St.

The three-story row house was built by Charles Deere in 1876 for company executives. Over time, the property changed hands until it was divided into 15 apartments. According to the city, the building was vacant for almost 10 years before Moline bought it in November 2008 with hopes of finding a developer to rehab the space.

In September 2010, the city announced it would take on the project itself. A federal grant was used to renovate the building into five first-floor one-bedroom apartments and five two-story two-bedroom apartments on the second and third floors.

Washington Square is one of nine preservation projects from across the state that will be recognized by Landmarks.Other projects to be honored for rehabilitation include Randolph Tower, Chicago; Wildey Theatre, Edwardsville; and Harper Theater, Chicago.























 



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.




(More History)