Sandra Jennings


Share
Posted Online: Dec. 20, 2013, 7:17 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Sandra L. Jennings, 75, of Rock Island, formerly of Moline, died Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013, in UnityPoint Health-Trinity Rock Island.
Services are 1:30 p.m. Monday at Christ the King Catholic Church, Moline, with the Rev. Donald Levitt officiating. Burial is at Moline Memorial Park. Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline. Memorials may be made to the church, Friendship Manor, Rock Island, or a favorite charity.
The former Sandra Lee Vehmeier was born Nov. 19, 1938, in Moline, the daughter of Alvin Merle and Ida Eda DeGeeter Vehmeier. She graduated from Rock Island High School and attended Western Illinois University. She married Donald Richard Jennings on Feb. 8, 1958, in Rock Island.
She was a teacher aide for Moline Public Schools for 15 years, retiring in 1992, and also volunteered for Moline schools and the Friendship Manor Gift Shop for several years. She was an active member of Louisa May Alcott Circle of King's Daughters for more than 40 years, was a member of Christ the King Catholic Church, where she taught CCD, and was active in PTA and was a Brownie leader. She enjoyed craft work and sewing, including sewing clothes for her family, and walking on the beach in Florida.
Sandra is survived by her husband, Dick; four children, Lisa Juricek, Omaha, Neb., Christopher Jennings, Tadd Jennings, Clarksville, Tenn., and Kara Jennings, Rock Island; seven grandchildren, Ryan, Shawn, Andrew, Sarah, Beau, David and Faith; and a great-grandchild, Aubrey.
Sandra's family extends appreciation to the staff at Friendship Manor for their loving care during the past two years, and the staff at Trinity Rock Island for their recent care. They invite friends to share stories and condolences and light a candle in Sandra's memory at TrimbleFuneralHomes.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)