Apparent murder-suicide leaves Utah family dead

Posted Online: Jan. 23, 2014, 4:30 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

Police Officer Joshua Boren, 34, didn’t show up for his 10 p.m. shift at the Lindon City Police Department in Utah on Thursday night.

When his colleagues couldn’t reach him by phone, they asked police in Spanish Fork, where Boren lived, to check on him.

Spanish Fork police said they arrived at Boren’s home about 11 p.m. and found him dead, along with his wife Kelly Boren, 32, mother-in-law Marie King, 55, and two children, 7-year-old Joshua ‘Jaden’ Boren and 5-year-old Haley Boren, were dead.

Investigators think Boren killed his family before turning the gun on himself, Spanish Forks Police Department Lt. Matt Johnson told the Los Angeles Times.

“When the police officers arrived they saw Boren’s patrol car parked on the street and his private vehicle, as well as his wife’s vehicle, parked in the driveway,” Johnson said.

Officers noticed that several lights were on inside the house, but no one answered the door, he said. When they peered through the windows, they noticed some blood and empty handgun shell casings on the floor, Johnson said.

The door was unlocked, he said. Officers walked in, announced themselves and began searching the two-story home.

“They didn’t locate anyone on the main floor ... but they noticed a large quantity of blood on the stairway landing that was leading to the second floor,” Johnson said.

When they went up the flight of stairs, they found King dead in one room and the other family members, including Boren, dead in the adjacent bedroom. All the victims had been shot, Johnson said.

Lindon police said Boren had shown no signs of distress before the incident.

“Lindon City Police Department officers praised Boren’s work ethic, demeanor and attitude,” Johnson said. “There was nothing to indicate anything of this nature would happen.”

In a statement, Lindon City Police Chief Cody Cullimore said the department was “shocked and saddened by the events as they appear to have occurred.”

“Officer Boren was selected for hire in October from a field of over 70 highly qualified applicants and had performed admirably as a patrol officer,” Cullimore said. “His conduct, behavior and professionalism were exemplary.”

However, Johnson said, some friends and acquaintances told police officers that Boren had been experiencing marital problems for the past several months. No suicide note was found at the residence.

Before he joined the Lindon force, Boren had been a deputy with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office for more than seven years, according to the Lindon police statement.

“We are working closely with the Spanish Fork Police Department to investigate and hopefully come to an understanding of this tragic occurrence,” Cullimore said.

Lindon is about 35 miles south of Salt Lake City, and Spanish Fork is another 20 miles south.


Local events heading

  Today is Thursday, July 24, the 205th day of 2014. There are 160 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rev. R.J. Humphrey, once a clergyman in this city, was reported killed in a quarrel in New Orleans.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Citizens Improvement Association held a special meeting to consider the proposition of consolidating Rock Island and Moline.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The home of A. Freeman, 806 3rd Ave., was entered by a burglar while a circus parade was in progress and about $100 worth of jewelry and $5 in cash were taken.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The million dollar dredge, Rock Island, of the Rock Island district of United States engineers will be in this area this week to deepen the channel at the site of the new Rock Island-Davenport bridge.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Argus "walked" to a 13-0 victory over American Container Corporation last night to clinch the championship of Rock Island's A Softball League at Northwest Douglas Park.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Immediate Care Center emergency medical office at South Park Mall is moving back to United Medical Center on Sept. 1. After nearly six years in operation at the mall, Care Center employees are upset by UMC's decision. The center is used by 700 to 800 people each month.

(More History)