Friends of Ericsson School to walk to Lincoln-Irving Feb. 15


Share
Posted Online: Feb. 14, 2014, 9:51 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Terry Stimpson

Preserving Small Neighborhood Schools

(Moline, IL) – "Today, the American dream is being shattered for so many kids because their schools are so big and so highly tracked. It really is the civil rights issue of the 21st century." - Michael Klonsky, director of The Small Schools Workshop, June 10 U.S. News and World Report

Students, Parents, and Friends of Ericsson School will be walking the proposed route to Lincoln-Irving School to experience the trek Ericsson students will be expected to walk IF Ericsson School is closed by the Moline School District. Walkers will meet at Ericsson School, corner of 3rd Street and 5th Avenue, this Saturday (details below):

DATE: Saturday, February 15, 2014
TIME: 10:00 AM
WHERE: From - Ericsson Elementary School, 335 5th Avenue, Moline
To – Lincoln-Irving Elementary School, 1015 16th Avenue, Moline

Those walking believe in the benefits of small neighborhood schools and their impact on children's education, especially in districts with high percentage of low-income enrollment. They believe small neighborhood schools provide a more personal learning environment. **Research shows that small schools can: 1) raise student achievement; 2) reduce incidents of violence or disruptive behavior; 3) combat student anonymity and isolation; 4) increase attendance and graduation rates; 5) elevate teacher satisfaction; 6) improve school climate; 7) be more cost effective; and 8) be as good as or better than big schools. **Publication source: Small Schools: The Numbers Tell a Story - a review of the research and current experiences of small schools. The Small School Workshop, Michael Klonsky.

This event is sponsored by Friends of Ericsson School and Palomares Social Justice Center.

For more information, call Terry Stimpson at (309) 236-5120

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Friday, July 25, the 206th day of 2014. There are 159 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Walter Jones, of Co, F 23rd Ky, volunteers, lost a satchel on the Camden road, yesterday, containing his papers of discharge from the army.
1889 -- 125 years ago: E. W. Robinson purchased from Mrs. J.T. Miller the livery stable on the triangle south of Market square.
1914 -- 100 years ago: A municipal; bathing beach was advocated at the weekly meeting of the city commission by commissioner Rudgren, who suggested the foot of Seventh Street as an excellent location.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Floyd Shetter, Rock Island county superintendent schools, announced teachers hired for nearly all of the 95 rural and village grade schools in the county.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The mercury officially reached the season's previous high of 95 about noon today and continued upward toward an expected mark of 97.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Fort Armstrong hotel once the wining and dining chambers of Rock Island's elite is under repair. Progress is being made though at a seeming snail's pace to return the building to a semblance of its past glory for senior citizen's homes.








(More History)